Summer '12 Anime Reviews - 貧乏神が!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Image by Sukeno Yoshiaki (I think)

2 episodes of this one have aired.



Title: 貧乏神が!, Binbougami ga!, Poverty God is...!
Animation Production: Sunrise
Genre: Action, Comedy, Supernatural
Airs: 07/04 25:50 TV TOKYO
Website: http://www.binbogamiga.net/

Series Summary from MangaUpdates:
Sakura Ichiko is a 16-year-old girl who leads a charmed life and is blessed with beauty, brains, and health. She has an abundance of “Happiness Energy”, which can make people happy, but at the cost of absorbing all the “Happiness Energy” from her surroundings. She has caused the energy balance of the world to become unbalanced and because of this, she becomes the target of a Poverty God named Momiji. Momiji's goal is to remove Ichiko’s power of absorbing other people’s Happiness Energy and to return all the energy she has taken to its rightful place.  
Kenn's Comment: Since I started with SAO using this format, I'll continue it. Feels a bit redundant, but it'll have to do.

The animation for this one is great. The colours work well with the characters, though I'm not sure why Ichiko has gray hair now, instead of the pink she sports in the manga (I think). Ichiko's quoted to have silver hair in the manga, so her hair in the anime isn't that far off the mark. If it were a bit brighter like Nyaruko's, I'd think it'd be a tad bit more vibrant looking.  The jabs and references to other series is great, coming off of the super-reference heavy Nyaruko and reminiscent of Gintama, it's certainly something that I enjoy.

I'd say the best part of the series is the relationship between Momiji and Ichiko. I've read a volume or two of the manga, and I'd have to say that they share an interesting relationship. While they're constantly at each other's throats, they've always got each other's backs which creates an interesting dynamic between the two.

One worry I have about this one is the pace that the series is going at. An episode typically contains 1-3 chapters of the manga. The real meat of the story doesn't really start until later, with some of the more eventful story arcs will either not make it into the anime, or take place towards the tail end of the season (Momiji takes a jab, saying that it'd be a one cour series). The first of these arcs should be episode 4. Looking foward to that one, and the rest.

I'm hoping this one will be a returning series. Probably not going to be a long running one like Gintama or Naruto, but I'm hoping it'll return constantly like Hidamari Sketch (which returns for it's 4th season).

So, should you watch it? Yes. I believe it's a Funimation licensed series too, so you'll be able to pick up the Blurays (seriously, who still uses DVDs?).

You Might Also Like

0 comments